Friday, October 29, 2010

New Playroom

I've given up on the hope that our house will sell this winter so  I decided to  do something about the cramped space upstairs. There is a room in the basement that I've been using as a storage room. It's huge and I think the past owners may have used it as a bedroom or a family room. I have no idea, but with the long cold winter baring down on us, I needed a place for the kids to hang out and play....as if they were outside. It is our "recycled" room because I think almost everything in there are things I found in the garage or at the farm. The only "new" are the slide, 2x4's and a carpet remnant we picked up at Menards. We are really excited about the finished product and the kids love it! I'm hoping to paint some murals on the walls this winter and add a few more "make believe" items for them. Now, I just need to figure out where to put all the boxes I removed! I have purged as much as I can.
Mark and I are also enjoying our mostly toy free living room and dining room!


Start of the playroom. We removed all the boxes, resealed the walls and patched up holes
 
Next we painted the floor white this just help to clean it up. We also "fogged" the room with bug spray to kill off the spiders
 
The jungle gym. My dad cut down 4 trees from the farm and I peeled the bark off them. Free supports! The 2x4 floor frame was covered with plywood remnants from Gary and Steph's house and the lower carpet was remnants from Eagan,  and the top was a remnant we bought at Menards
The floor has a carpet underlayment that we had left from Eagan, topped with foam tiles that we had in the old playroom. I guess we did buy two more packages of those. The railing is made from scraps of lumber from Aaron

Finished. 2 story fort.1st floor is a reading nook with pillows and curtains. The ladder I found in the garage at the farm. The top was busted so I cut the last to rungs off and sanded it down. Works perfectly! I also bought a pully so that they can lift things from the floor to the second story. The ceiling is bamboo beach pads. I still need about 12 more to finish the ceiling.


Play kitchen, the right side is carpet and bookshelves,eventually there will be a TV/DVD for movie time and bean bags. The mirror I got for free from Lutsen resort. Toddler level for dress up!

Left side is the toy corner, shelves are made with wood from Uncle Aaron, Bins from Sam's club. 2 for $4! The right side is the craft corner. I built the table myself! 2x4's from Sawtooth Lumber and the counter top is leftover wood laminate from the upstairs flooring. The kids are having a blast with it!


No comments: